As most of you already know I take and teach Taekwondo (My part time job is with an after-school taekwondo program). I've been involved with this Martial Arts school for a long time.I've been training very hard for the last few months for my black belt testing. On March 7 I did a required fitness test and I finished with my best time so far! So alot of my free time was spent excercising and training for that. After I was done with the fitness test I had to focus on making sure that I knew ALL of the forms and staying in shape for the actually testing. It's taken alot of time and effort.
Well, my testing was Saturday (the 28th). I sparred, did my self-defenses, did all of the forms (that's six full forms-all in a row, exhausting) and then came time for the board breaking. I've done these board breaks many times over the last few months so I didn't expect anything to be different. I went to break the kick...a run, jump side-kick...the board broke (thankfully) and as I came back down I landed very wrong on my knee. After laying in pain for a little while I got up and went and broke my second and final board with a spin elbow and thankfully it broke too! So the good news is, I am an official black-belt now....the bad news is that I have a possible torn ACL in my left knee. I go back to the doc next week after he gets my MRI results in and we will decide if surgery is in my future. In the meantime, I started physical therapy (aka torture) yesturday.
I'm not sure now what will happen with my part-time job. I kinda need my knee to demonstrate when teaching the kids. If it is surgery that I need then I will not be able to do Taekwondo for 6 months. This job has been the perfect set-up for me. I take little T with me and he loves every second of it. How many jobs can you take your two-year old with you?? The owners of the school are absolutely wonderful and are great friends of mine, and, honestly, Tommy and I have enjoyed that little extra income each month.
So, I'm hoping that the results will come back and surgery will not be the answer :). We'll see next week! In the meantime, I am chasing my two year old around on crutches. Fun stuff! ;)
I'm going to try to do better now about updating this! Here are some pics that you missed out over the past few months...

3 comments:
Congrats on the black belt. That is awesome and the story is like something from "The Karate Kid". You know the one where they hurt his knee really bad and then Mr. Miagi (sp?) rubs his hand together and that magically makes him well enough to go out and kick but again. I just kept picturing Tommy doing that to your knee so you could go break that second board. Congrats again.
Yay! I'm glad you updated your blog! Hopefully no surgery though! :)
Little Thomas is not so little anymore...He is so adorable.
Im so sorry about your knee injury! Ill keep you in my prayers!
Post a Comment