Okay, so I've commented on a lot of political blogs on facebook and myspace lately. I've decided with just a few days left until election day to let my "voice" be heard (for what it's worth). I feel like this election is too important to keep silently on the sidelines, even though I must admit that is where I'd sometimes like to stay when tempers go flaring! But there are too many lives at stake for us to keep silent.
First of all, I just want to say that I do not blindly vote for the candidate that I choose to support. Politics get under my skin at times, but they are unfortunetly something that we have to force ourselves to learn about because these politicians are choosing laws and bills that we and our children have to live with for many years to come. I'm going to be honest and say that it bothers me very much that many republicans use the moral issues to get Christians to vote for them. Posting your "Conservative Christian Values" on a sign and then cheating on your taxes or commiting adultry numerous times drives me up the wall. But I know that the GOPs are the better alternative.
With that being said, and even knowing that the Republican Party is not without fault, by any means, my support goes to Senator McCain.
McCain was not even close to the top of my list when the repulican hopefuls first started campaining (I think I'm still somehow hoping I'll wake up and Fred Thompson or Mike Hukabee will be on the republican ticket and I've been just somehow stuck in a really long political nightmare, a nightmare for many other reason than just that, of course). I did, however, gain much respect for McCain after learning of his 22-year military career as Pilot and Navy officer. And I gained even more respect when I read about the five years that he spent in a Vietnamese Prison Camp and all of the extensive injuries that he suffered during that time. FIVE YEARS!!! That is true service and is incredibly honorable. His many years of senate experience is also working for him! The Presidency is the most important job that anyone could have, and I'd say he is up for it. And with backup like Sarah Palin, I would say that we would be in good hands for the next four years.
As I have said MANY times in the last few weeks my number one concern is the abortion issues. FIFTY MILLION lost babies since 1973. Nothing speaks louder to me than that. I get emotional just thinking about the practice of partial birth abortion and of infanticide (Obama voted NO on the Born Alive Infant Protection Act in Illinois in 2001...afraid of getting the precious Roe vs. Wade overturned). It scares me that the Freedom of Choice Act, if signed, would allow for tax-funded abortions at any stage of pregnancy (Obama has said that FOCA would be one of the FIRST things that he would want to sign into law as President). What do we do when our tax money is going toward something like that!!
So, my support and my vote goes toward Pro-life McCain/Palin, but more importantly as a Christian, my vote goes where I truly believe that God would want it to. I know that,truthfully, God would rather have one of his disciples leading this country, but until that day, my vote goes to the person who will do their best to protect this great country from moral depravity!
2 comments:
So I read this on Facebook with all of the comments there, but kept moving on. When i found it here too, I figured I'd say something. Wow. It's amazing how we as Christians can have such strong beliefs and there are people that oppose us so much. Thank you for speaking your mind and from your heart. I completely agree with you. I've come to realize that all I can do about the next few days is cross my fingers and pray!
Thank you for posting this. Needless to say, I'm terrified.
Post a Comment