It was a Sunday morning and my sweet friend, Christi, and I were rushing to get ready and leave our University’s campus. I was a Sophmore in college and known for being late (I can hear you gasping in shock), so I was trying my best to not only be on time this Sunday morning, but to be EARLY to Bible class. I was teaching this Sunday morning. This wasn’t my first time to teach a Bible class. I had lead devotionals at my social club’s meetings and I had even taught a few ladies classes in front of my peers. This particular morning was different. This Sunday, I was a college student stepping out of my comfort zone.
For a couple months prior to this Sunday I had been volunteering on Tuesday nights to ride the buses of the Inner City Ministry. We would ride into the inner city Government Housing projects and pick up a huge bus load of children and take them to a church building outside of the inner city (different ages went on different buses and to different places). They would have a bible class, snack, and sometimes a craft of some sort. I was sort of a“filler.” Basically, they would stick me on whatever bus that needed more assistance. I, along with one or two other adults, would ride in the back of the bus with the children and help keep things calm; breaking up fights, keeping the kids in their seats…just trying to make sure everyone was safe and happy. I rode the bus there, and sat in a room where the teachers could send the children that got into trouble in the classroom and were asked to leave. I kept those kids along with two other ladies, and then, when class was over, we would ride the bus back to the inner city, drop the kids off, go back to our meeting place and go home. It was craziness, and I usually came back on campus after it was over and crashed, but it was nice to be helping with something important. And, I always, always came back to my apartment with some pretty great stories.
One morning a teacher of mine, who also worked with the inner city children, asked Christi, a few other girls, and myself, if we would come to the inner city congregation to teach a bible class that Sunday morning. They were having a special speaker in the adult Bible class that morning and they wanted to let their teachers have a break so that they could hear the speaker during class, as well as worship. I froze when she asked me. I finally said, “By myself? In a class room?” She sweetly laughed and said, “Yes, you’d be in a class of about 15 children. By yourself. But, I know you can do it!” Every part of my body and mind was screaming, “NO! I can’t. I can’t. I just can’t.” But, for some reason, my mouth didn’t listen and I said “Okay. I will do it.”
So, here I was, rushing to get ready to teach a childrens' class on my own for the first time ever. I was shaking with nerves. Christi and I arrived with about five minutes to spare (so much for getting there and shaking out my nerves before I started) and I was brought to a classroom of about fifteen 8 and 9 year olds. I mean if you are going to start a new adventure of teaching, why not jump into a classroom of 8 and 9 year old inner city children?? Go all in or nothing, right?? I stood in front of these kids trying to get their attention and no one was listening. I am not super authoritative , so I wasn’t sure what to do. So, I just started singing. “Thank you Lord for loving me and thank you Lord for blessing me….” Everybody stopped and looked at me like I was crazy. But, I had their attention. One girl shouts out, “Girl, you can sang. You sound like Brittany Spears. Do another one…” (I’m still not sure if that was a compliment or not, ha!). I said “Sure, I’ll sing another one, if you will sing with me…” And we sang, we did our lesson, and they asked quite possibly 20,000 questions. It was absolutely life changing.
I have taught Bible classes ever since that morning. I still get nervous when I start a new class, with new kids or a new place. When someone asks me to teach I still want to say “no” for some reason. But, I force myself to say yes and I never regret it.I’m pretty sure I get more out of it than any of the kids I end up teaching.
That is my story of stepping out of my comfort zone for the first time ever. I thought about that this weekend as I thought about the fact that my sweet husband has preached more than once in the last few months. If you had asked me ten years ago if I would have seen him preach ever I might have laughed. Not because I didn’t think he would do great, but because I know how painfully out of his comfort zone that would be. But, he continues to amaze me and step out of his comfort zone over and over again in different ways. There are so many ways that I need to step out of my comfort zone today. And that's why I am writing this; to challenge myself.
If we are a Christian, we should be stepping out of our comfort zones constantly. We have so many beautiful examples in the Bible of people showing faith and stepping out of their comfort zones to do so.
Abraham left his home country to go to a land where God would send him (Genesis 12). I can’t imagine leaving behind my parents, brothers and sister-in-law and friends and never looking back. But that’s exactly what Abraham did. It was a long journey. He made mistakes, he watched two cities destroy themselves in evilness; he had joy, sadness, and frustration. But, he trusted God, and he was so blessed for it.
Moses stepped out of his comfort zone when he went to confront the Pharaoh. He complained about it some and said that he was not good enough. He gave excuses and obviously had an inner battle going on and lack of confidence. He ended up taking Aaron with him to help out with the part that scared him the most, but he still went! Sometimes we have to use help and take someone with us to support us when we step out of our comfort zone, but what matters is that we are willing to go.
The apostle Peter, after seeing Jesus walking on water, stepped out of the boat (his comfort zone) to walk to Jesus (Matt 14). After a few steps he doubted and started to sink, but he showed faith in stepping out of the boat to begin with. Sometimes, when we step out of our comfort zone we are going to slip and fall flat on our faces. It won’t always be rainbows and butterflies and happy, singing children. Sometimes, it will be so hard and we might fail. But, I can guarantee you; we will learn something every single time. Even when it doesn’t work out like we had hoped. .
It’s hard to be uncomfortable. Especially in a world that is telling us that we have no right to tell anyone anything about anything. Keep to yourself. You do your thing, I’ll do mine. But, we are called to do so much more than keep to ourselves. (Mark 16:15-16).
Here is my challenge to you (and myself), next time someone asks you to do something out of your comfort zone...especially something that will further the cause for Christ and His Kingdom, try it! You may surprise yourself!
(From Paul to Timothy) "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel," (1 Tim 1:6-10, ESV)
No comments:
Post a Comment