After a three year break, yes, you read that right, three years, I am finally going to give this blogging thing another shot. There could not be a blog long enough to catch up the three year gap between this post and the last, so here is the summary: Some good things happened, some bad things happened, some great things happened, like the addition of a blessing of a baby girl named Lela, I've grown a lot and love God and my family even more than I did three years ago.
So, why, you may ask, pick up blogging once again after such a long break? It's something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm a writer by nature so I feel better when I have a creative outlet. Also, to have a place to share/record our family happenings and to have a place to share my thoughts,opinions, but most importantly, God's word. And, the main goal, is for improvement. To improve my spiritual life, to improve my attitude, to improve my writing skills; to improve my own and maybe other's understanding of certain subjects using God's Word, and just maybe, sometimes, to help to improve someone's day. Okay, woah there. That's quite a bit of pressure. I don't really expect all of those things to happen, but, the goal is improvement of some kind. Any kind.
Making improvements in our lives can be so tough. It's tough on us to change the habits and stubbornness that need to be changed to make whatever improvement we are trying to make. And, it's hard on those around us who don't quite understand why we are making the changes we are making to improve ourselves. We are imperfect human beings living with and around fellow imperfect human beings, who are filled with insecurities, self doubt, and a longing to be better.
These same insecurities can cause us to lash out in an unkind way to someone who is searching for improvement. Take, for example, someone who is trying to better themselves physically. They are excited about their changes, it's on the forefront of their mind, so they may talk about it. A lot. Here I was, feeling pretty good about myself for only eating one Krispy Kreme donut for breakfast instead of the three that I really wanted to eat and my friend comes over and tells me about how she hasn't had any junk food in 100 days and she just ran 13 miles backwards. My little bit of improvement seems pointless now. So, I may as well eat those donuts after she leaves. (Let's be honest, I'll take any excuse to eat a donut). Someone starts talking about physical improvements and my self doubt and insecurities, along with a little bit of guilt are at the forefront of my mind and all of the sudden my hearing ability is compromised, too. Friend says: "I've started this new healthy, organic eating and I feel great!!" What I hear: "I can't believe you are eating those Cheetos. You must feel awful." And, so I may throw out a sarcastic comment, or try to downplay her success at improvement. So, here's this friend, working hard on something and feeling excited about it, not being haughty or condescending about it. And instead of being excited for her and encouraging her, I've made her feel bad.
Don't we sometimes do the same thing to people who are trying to improve their spiritual lives? They are excited and talking about the Bible all of the time. They mention the Bible studies they are involved in; that they have gotten rid of their television so that they can teach their children to focus on spiritual things instead; that they can't see a movie because they researched it and don't feel it would be a good thing to watch; that they dropped an extracurricular so that they can give more money to the church. Whatever it may be, and all of the sudden our insecurities, self doubt, and possibly a little bit of guilt, makes our hearing distorted once again. We hear "you don't study the Bible enough, you are a sinner for owning a TV, and I cannot BELIEVE you pay for your kids to play that sport." So we lash out with unkindness. We call them names and tell others how self righteous so-in-so is. And in the process, we back track on the improvements that we were trying to make in our own spiritual lives. I am so very guilty of this. Instead of encouraging a fellow Christian who is excited about improving their spiritual life, we discourage them by our attitude and words.
Please don't walk away from this blog saying that crazy Carol Leah thinks it's a sin to eat a dessert or own a television. Every one who knows me knows that I am the queen of chocolate and I love a good show! But, shouldn't we all be trying to improve our spiritual lives everyday? We should be growing in the word every day (2 Tim 3:16-17, Rom 15:4) loving God and others more every day (Matt 22:37-39), and focusing on what is pure and right every day (Phil 4:8). And we should be encouraging each other daily and "rooting each other on" as we strive for improvement and strive for the same goal. We can learn from each other's improvements and help each other to be more like Jesus. We should welcome each other's advice and even rebuke if it is needed. If we are walking that narrow way together (Matt 7: 13-14), we are not in competition with each other, even if it feels that way sometimes. Instead, we should want the best for each other.
Now, please excuse me while I go try to work off those donuts ;-)
"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called today, that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." (Heb 3:13)
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. (Eph 4:29)
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Heb 10:24-25)
(drawing by Thomas age 6))

1 comment:
Carol Leah, this is a great word! Thanks for starting up this Blog again! I'm sure to "tune" in every time!
I love you and your sweet family and I look forward to more updates and words of wisdom from your blog!
Have a "DAISY" day my friend! :)
Post a Comment