Monday, October 14, 2013

Driving Me Nuts

We were sitting around my parents dinner table yesterday after church eating our Sunday lunch, when out of the blue my three year old announces (in a very animated manner), "Sometimes when my mom's mad she says 'You're making me lose my nuts!" He had mixed two sayings together, "you are driving me nuts", and "you are making me lose my mind." Busted. We all had a big laugh at that! But, I was left wondering what other things he has randomly decided to tell people that I have done or said. Yikes! I remember a few years ago there was a commercial, I can't remember what it was advertising, I just remember that it showed kids telling people what their parents had said in the privacy of their own homes and embarrassing them in public. One kid at a wedding pulls on the bride's dress and she looks at him and the kid says "My mom says that you really shouldn't be wearing white." Ouch! Kids can be very embarrassing because they are always listening and rarely miss a thing. And their actions and words are often time a reflection of their parents. Even when you think there is no way they are paying attention, they still pick things up from you, or their siblings, or even worse, the television.

I'm thankful for my kids for many reasons but one of the things I am most thankful for is the fact that having them in my life, depending on my example, has made me want to be a better Christian. I want them to see Jesus in my actions and words. I watch my words more carefully, I am much more picky of what I will play on my television, I try to talk positive about people in front of them, which makes me look for the good in others, even the ones who "drive me nuts." Yes, I obviously slip up and speak out of anger and say things I shouldn't (way more often than I should). But, those kids that are ALWAYS listening are very quick to point it out..to me and anyone else they may come in contact with. And because of that I learn from them as much as they learn from me.

In a world that often times seems over run by evil and sin, we have the power to make a difference. If we can be the Christians that we are suppose to be, not just in public, but in the privacy of our homes, then our children will have a fighting chance when they are outside of our homes. If they can see us "walking the walk," then, just maybe, they will grow up to "walk the walk," too.

I hope that I can continue to improve daily for my kids' sake. But, more importantly, I hope that I will strive to do better and be better for the sake of our God, who is awesome and almighty and deserves our very best. My children know my actions and can see through me when I am not sincere. Even more so, The Lord knows my heart and knows every "secret thing." As soon as we let go of self and live for Him, the better chance we give our children...who are always watching.

"In all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you." Titus 2:7-8

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matt 5:16

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all.For God will bring every work into judgment,Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil." Ecc 12:13-14

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Always good to be reminded. We are working on trying to control our "angry voices" right now. When we get angry we look pretty silly to our kids, or worse really mean. Sometimes we have to step out of ourselves and see and hear from other's perspective.