Monday, March 24, 2014

Throw a Little Love Their Way...

At any given moment these days it is likely someone will bust into "Do you want to build a snowman?" or "Let it Go" while walking around our house. If you could not tell by all of the Frozen things I have posted on my social media, I am a little fond of the new disney hit. Okay, that's a bit of an understatement!! My kiddos like the movie almost as much as I do :-). I've read some really good blogs about the movie and I've read some that make my blood boil. People tend to assume the worst about things and go searching for a reason to not like things. I can understand that to an extent considering that most things that come from Hollywood are full of trash. But when they do something this good, supporting it will show them that this is the type of entertainment that the majority of us are searching for for our children..and for ourselves for that matter! But, I've actually seen some things that try to link Frozen with such things as homosexuality and even beastiality. I'm not even going to give that the dignity of a response. I mean, come on, not only was it a beautiful, funny, lovely piece of work, it also gives the viewer some pretty great life lessons. Here are just a hand full of the lessons I got out of the movie, Frozen.

You never know what someone else is going through. Anna assumes that her sister Elsa is being selfish when she shuts her out of her life. She doesn't know the inner struggle that Elsa is dealing with. We can do the same thing with the people in our lives. Assume the worst. But, sometimes, all it takes is getting to know someone on a deeper level in order to find a way to help them deal with the struggles in their lives.

"Love at first sight," is not a real thing. Disney movies from the past are full of stories of the "love at first sight" theme. Frozen not only moves away from that theme, but it basically makes fun of it in a cute song called "Love is an Open Door." I love that Anna finds out what real love is during the course of this movie. Love is many things, but it is not instant. It takes time and it takes work. Work that is well worth it when it is done right!

Sometimes "following your heart" can have bad consequences. Something difficult and scary happens to Queen Elsa. As a result, she runs away and in quite possibly the coolest scene and most beautiful song of the movie, she expresses her desire to do whatever she wants to do and forget anyone and everything else. This works for her for a little while. But, then, Anna shows up and opens her eyes to the consequences that she left behind for her people to deal with while she enjoys life alone. Elsa learned that you cannot just "Let it Go" completely. The power that Elsa possessed was beautiful, and hiding it was not the answer. But, she had to find a balance and learn self control. We have to do the same thing in our own lives. As a parent, I spend some of everyday trying to teach my children to show self control when they want something. It's not an easy lesson, and it's even harder when they look around and see that even adults these days have a problem with lack of self control. I grew up with a generation that preaches that you should always "follow your heart," no matter the consequences. Do what you want to do and if you hurt others in the process that is their problem. It is nice to have a Disney movie that shows that sometimes their are unpleasant consequences when you think only of your own needs. Which leads me to my last point...

"Love is putting someone else's needs before yours." Thank you! There it is! And who does this quote come from? The little guy that kept us laughing from the moment he entered the story, Olaf! What great wisdom from a little comedic relief snowman :-). I love that it wasn't a "true love's kiss" that saved Anna. It was an ACT of true love. It was HER own act of true love...putting Elsa before herself ....that ends up saving them both. Elsa spends most of her life protecting Anna, and in the end Anna sacrifices herself for Elsa and helps them both to have the freedom to love that they always wanted. It doesn't get much more beautiful. Love in action. Love is putting others before ourselves. Every day.

"People make bad choices when they're mad or scared or stressed. But, throw a little love their way and you'll bring out their best." Frozen

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Matt 22:38-39

5 comments:

Dean said...

Well Written, as usual. Love your points!

misty mendenhall said...

Very nice!

The Hatfield Family said...

Love this! You made exactly all the points as to why I love the movie. And trust me, Savannah belts out all the songs probably as much as you do....lol

amberdawn2 said...

This is so much better put than I could say in words! I enjoyed this read! Thanks, Carol Leah.:)

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . .